Site Network: Home | Podiobooks | Facebook Group | About

So what next?

Well, it looks like I might be lying low for a little while. Possibly the next few months, while I bang together a completely rebuilt version of HtDC. It'll still essentially be the same book but (hopefully) much better. There may be reasons for this, but I'm keeping shtum. The important thing is I'm really excited about what the second draft will look like.

This does mean however, that further adventures of Salmon and Dusk are unlikely for a while. Time is, as I may have mentioned below, a little short in supply at the moment. Also, I'm determined to get the first book 'right' before moving on to the second novel proper.

Other podcast novels aren't an impossibility though. I love the format of podcasting and the relationship it allows me to develop with listeners/readers while the creative process is still underway.

I've really been wanting to attempt a follow-up to Electricity, mainly as I enjoyed recording it and feel it's my most successful use of the 'podcast novel' format. Something with a similar focus on music, told by a central character in a similar, stripped back voice. What was holding me back, of course, was an idea. Until yesterday, when I had one of those fantastic moments (sparked by a fusion of cold weather, exhaustion and pop music) that had me scribbling in my moleskine. At least one of the characters from Electricity would slot very well into that tale, so we'll see. I do like returning characters.

There's another idea that's been kicking around for years and that I finally had time to elaborate into a workable plot (during an incredibly boring conference I was recently sentenced to.) It's probably more of a screenplay idea, but I'm quite excited about that too.

Ideas aren't in short supply at the moment, which is reassuring. As much as I love them, I wouldn't want to be stuck with Salmon & Dusk forever. Of course, finding the time to do anything with these ideas remains an issue.

Hopefully there'll still be some interest left by the time they emerge...

2 comments:

At 5:31 PM Mariko said...

The rebuilt of HtDC sounds pretty exciting to me as I've been chewing through the story multiple times, say 7, 8 times (!?), so far. HtDC is my both bed time and sun bathing beach story at present. I'm the kind who needs to get down on details if I dig the stuff. Good luck on that goal. I'd look forward to it if you make it public.

Two chalk sticks? I've read your comment on what it meant somewhere. Your chalk idea is utterly brilliant! When I heard the expression, my flat brain thought "is it like paying by cocaine or some other white powder???", how lame...

Oh, one thing my ears took it as a mistake was the phrase '... start of... beautiful friendship...' Isn't there similar phrase in Casablanca? Personally, I thought your story could do without it. I just wouldn't want to hear a cliche in the story which sounds so original and keeps an extra-dimension/under-world atmosphere throughout.

LOVE the reference to lots of drinking and Tom Waits.

I haven't touched either Electricity or My Chalk Outline, yet. I will definitely catch up soon.

Hooray!
mariko

 
At 11:57 AM Onion Petal said...

I can't imagine that HtDC could be improved upon but I do understand that the author's eye can be the most critical.

You have a loyal reader in me and I will welcome any future writings, as they happen, with much rejoicing.

Some of my favorite published authors, like Neil Gaiman, take years between their release of novels and I haven't forsaken any of them. Your work is as gifted as theirs and as transporting. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Besides, as you are working new listeners are stumbling across your podcasts and falling in love your writing so there will always be a steady fan base to await your new releases.
Write on!

 

Post a Comment